Thursday, July 23, 2009

All-Star Sunday: Futures Game & Celebrity Softball

So after the night race in Chicago on Saturday night (we got home around 1:00am), we got up and drove the other direction: St. Louis!! All-Star Sunday included the Futures Game where all the best minor-leaguers play their own All-Star game. Following that was the Celebrity Softball game (which is what we were looking forward to that day but we had to sit through the Futures game first).


After the first half inning of the Futures Game, it absolutely POURED. And when I say poured I mean it rained for hours and hours and hours. So Devin, Christy, Jason and I sat in the cold, wet ballpark for the 5 hour rain delay to watch a game that we didn't care much about. What a great start to the weekend.


But, the celebrity softball game totally made up for the bummer of a day we had up to that point. I was disappointed in all of the things that were cut out of the game when it aired on tv because they missed some funny moments! If I ever get the opportunity to go to another one I am not going to miss it - what a great time! So here a few pictures from Sunday at the Ballpark:A view of the stadium all dressed up for the big day.


They had huge baseball cards of each starting lineup hanging on the outside of the stadium. It was really neat!
The main entrance to the stadium with the Stan Musial statue. So cool!




This is a view from Devin and Christy's seats. Not too shabby (excluding the scary looking sky the led to our rain delay)!! They had mowed the arch into the outfield with a profile view of the Courthouse underneath. The shadow of the lights are covering that up but it was really awesome.
EVERY mascot from every team was there!! And I thought watching Fredbird alone was hilarious. No matter how old I get, these guys are still hysterical! I could've watched them all day.
Jenna Fisher (Pam Beasley on "The Office") and Billy Bob Thornton warming up before the game. BTW I loved him as Buttermaker in the remake of Bad News Bears.

Olympic meadalist (and Dancing with the Stars champion) Shawn Johnson

All of the former Cardinals who were playing.
Bobby Knight (basketball coach of Texas Tech but best known for throwing chairs and yelling at refs at Indiana) telling Shawn Johnson to flip while stealing 2nd base. Mike Greenberg from ESPN is checking out the action.

I'll be posting photos from the Homerun Derby next time (I know you are all just sitting on the edge of your seat in suspense). Ha!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awsome pictures!! You guys have been busy! I think my husband is a bit jealous!
The tire picture is so cool!! I never knew about the tire inspecition process they go through!! Very interesting!!

Thanks for posting,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Jason and Brittany! I love reading your blog and seeing where all you've been, and I appreciate the explanations, since I don't have a clue about the racing, especially!
Ruth

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template